Friday 30 April 2010

Well here I go again!

To begin with on a positive note I have printed Calvin's portraits at A2 so that is one thing I can cross off my to do list. After all the hassle of scanning them in - although it was interesting to learn more about the curves, colour balance, histogram etc - and to bring the exposure back from nothing was an achievment - that took 1 and a half days. Yesterday I thought I would be able to print after doing a little bit of clean up with the images - how wrong I was. FIVE HOURS - yes FIVE HOURS LATER - I had finally finished cleaning and "healing" 3 portraits. They were covered in dust and that was with cleaning them before they went into the scanner. Once I had sorted them out today we discussed printing them sepereately so they were more life size - like Rachael printed hers - but Calving decided they would look good enough on one A2 sheet. I also managed to print them smaller - so that is something else I do not have to worry about.

Now we head to the negatives. I picked my negs up from 20/20 today and they are as I thought they would be - not very good. I dont look at these and think wow - like I do when I have looked at others Holga work. All of my images seem to be very flat and dull - oh and very green. That was my problem as I found it easier to travel to the woods - where there were not many distractions but obviously it is very green - so I did try a few shots in the Urban Landscape. I then had a camera problem - because the strap fell off and back opened clightly - so exposed the film to light! Looking at some of them I could probably scrape together 10 seperate images for this part of the project - but I just feel that i have not pushed myself enough with the technique. I am going to try and play with some of them in Photoshop and up the contrast and play with the colour balance to see if there is any improvement.

Now lets see if these will go big?!


If the edits do not work out too well - I may need to think about changing the idea. Very late in the project I know - whatever I do will either have to be digital or black and white. Only idea I have floating around at the moment is working with flash blur? Getting people to move all over the place - mainly focusing on different style portraits but still incorporating the flash technique.

We'll meet again!

2 comments:

  1. I really like these - especially the first sheet - 2,4,5,6 & 9. The table lamp is crazy. They look much more Holga-ish. I was thinking about the exposures & I guess as you are doing multiple exposures without a meter they will tend to be overexposed and lose saturation anyway. Add in to that the imprecision of the camera & that no two cameras are the same & you have something that is difficult to control. I think you should stick with it and do a couple more rolls. I found having a splash of bright colour helped lift the pictures & all the blossom around now could help or just get really bright objects, have you tried your bright pink hair tongues yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh they defo go big now! sweet. I really like them, theres something very cool about holga, that can turn even mundane things into great shots (but yours are better than that). Rachaels idea of colour is a good thought, i do think these are quite interesting and exciting though!

    ReplyDelete